Friday, February 9, 2007

state of wait


Heather, your tofuness sounds delicious - did I forget to mention the chili powder? I remember adding what I thought was chili powder to some dishes we made over the break - maybe the tofu was one of them? You have such a mysterious spice rack, all unlabeled - almost like it's used for casting magical food spells and they're your secret ingredients of various colours.

Anyway, the fog horns on foggy nights by the ocean are no longer that traditional "blar"ing sound you might remember from being a kid. You remember the sound of a fog horn? Well now, on these very foggy nights, the city sits quiet in waiting, and through the darkness you can hear a faint humming sound echoing about every 15-20 seconds. It sounds like an giant pelican in the waves, breathing deeply through its beak towards the vast nothingness- and when it's late enough in our town there isn't any other sound you can hear except for these pelican snores in the thick night. Like right now. That, mixed with Daniel's soft music behind our curtained wall is all I get to rock me to sleep. I hope you guys love every second of your day tomorrow. It's Friday, and something is approaching. Something big. Like a wave of twilight resting on the horizon. Maybe waiting there, maybe moving closer. And we live for the freedom that it tastes like, the sugars of exhausted freedom, to climb up the tallest tree and watch the heavens gleam, to grapple tied-up rope-swings, to taste the freshness of a clear winter morning with stars in your eyes and a burn of excitement in your chest- it's all waiting, like the quiet fog horn waits for morning to clear the skies, we wait, they wait, the world sits suspended tonight in a beautiful state of wait...

"I don't care what you believe, just believe it"
I don't know care what I do after college, just so long as I do it.

love mikie

4 comments:

heather said...

mikie go look at the comment on my tofu blog, i think it is meant for you! i am jealous of that foghorn pelican sound. i want to sleep in the van on a faraway shore with that sound and waves to rock me to sleep.

mattbeatty said...

A wave of twilight resting on the horizon! I know what that means.

I hope it's coming. I'm waiting, I'll say that much.

Susan said...

I love this line "something is approaching. Something big. Like a wave of twilight resting on the horizon...And we live for the freedom that it tastes like..." Okay, My kids are all wizards - brewing their cauldrons of words to be served in magical portions. Including Joey if he will deign to join us... Mikie I'm so excited for your audition! call me...Love Whoa, it's a good thing I previewed my comment first, I had no idea Matt had singled out the same line as I did! Honestly - Wow, it must be an amazing line - profound I think...Mom

Susan said...

I can hear the foghorn and feel the damp breeze and the rush of waves around my ankles just reading this - what memories or longed for memories it brings to mind...