Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Challenge

I don't know, but Mikie challenged me to write a blog, short or long (it'll be short I think)It's late but I will say that today is Valentine's day and I delivered something to two of my favorite candidates/Valentines---Grandma Georgia and Susan. Just a little plant for mom (grandm G) (she was very pleased-I don't know why, it was so simple)and after spending way too much time looking for a card that simply said 'Be My Valentine' like the little single sheet ones that I passed out to friends when in grammer school, I backed out and put some stickers on a Valentines bag that served as the carrier for the little something I gave to Susan. Anyway, I seem to put too much effort into things that should come more spontaneous. See, Mikie challenged me to change my life and work on that. I guess writing a blog might help. Anyway, I discovered that Valentines Day is a real big deal, since I saw so many V-day shoppers and so much merchandise in the process. So, Happy Valentines day to all of you kids, and grandkids and Susan or whoever reads this.
Love, Dad

3 comments:

Mikie Beatty said...

Yipppeeeee!!!

So you saw a lot of shoppers? I barely saw any! Maybe people in Placerville are more procrastinators than in Santa Cruz. Or maybe also it's because I myself wasn't doing any shopping today. So what present did you get mom?

Oh, and I wasn't meaning to sound in any way critical of the way you already do things. I just like to present new ways of doing old things as much as I can. A big lesson I've learned recently in school is "never get attached to your results", meaning: don't allow a routine to dictate your choices, rather than having your choices dictate your routine. Life is so incredibly huge to get too stuck in one way of thinking and behaving -
so as Leonardo DiCaprio says in The Beach,

"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it"

mattbeatty said...

Hi Dad--great blog! I'm glad you're still around here; I didn't know if you were cause you haven't really posted or commented much or anything. You should though--don't be afraid, we all know you. Just say anything, anything at all.

Thanks for the Valentine's email; it was really nice. I could've been better for Amy this Valentine's--I got her this really cool apron (no subliminal messages intended there--it's cute) and some flowers and a little tree-purse if that makes sense. But nothing extremely personal just cause I'm so strapped for time. I said I'd do a Valentine's-part-II sometime soon. But I did everything early this year! if you can believe that.

Hey Mikie, awesome Beach quote. I love that movie, I really do. Something about it is so intriguing. Although I'm as into the last third of it or so.

heather said...

dad why are you so sweet!??! thanks for all your help with the van stuff too. i really truly appreciate everything you do. by the way i saw the cutest card right after you were telling me you were looking for a simple card for mom. it was (if you can believe it) in the raley's check out line and it had a little mouse that looked sort of old-fashioned, and it said something sweet and friendly like just about "have a happy day" something like that. anyway i was considering getting it but i thought that was a little too weird and i figured you'd probably found something anyway. but she sure loved the bag didn't she?! anyway i'm glad you wrote a blog. nice job. it is nice to hear your friendly voice on here.