Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rambling

We watched Little Miss Sunshine the other night. It was wonderful. We seriously enjoyed it, immensely even. Have you guys seen Stranger Than Fiction? We saw that a few weeks ago too; I've been meaning to post about it because I thought it was pretty rad. Pretty original, quirky, creative, well-acted, a few plot holes but so what, kinda Charlie Kaufman-esque.

So Sunday I put up a double bed. (Can I call it that? Do I have to call it a bunkbed?) Took almost four hours, lots of work, lots of allen-wrenching and now-sore and chapped hands and fingertips. It's pretty nice, really big, to the ceiling practically. But the kids couldn't be more ecstatic. We should post a picture or something.

I did my presentation on Saturday (though it was speech only, no powerpoint like I intended). It went decent, had about 25 folks attendin or so. Felt scholarly.

The weather's been really nice. 40s/50s. Unbelievable out. Then we had some snow a night or two ago, but it's all already gone. Yep, all gone.

Okay so this was just a quick nobrainer cheesy post, not much to it. But I-or-Amy'll come back later and post some Valentine's pictures of the kids, pretty cute, and maybe some other pictures and stuff. Oh yeah and I'm gonna post an mp3 of Bella singing this song she made up. You'll love it; I know this cause I do and it can't be helped, literally.

Since I was mentioning movies, we watched Lucky Number Slevin last night. If you're all for discussing movies I mention let me know. So I'm at school right now feeling pretty high and ready to ride my bike home in the sun and snowshadowed mountains. I cut my hand this morning because I raced to school to do a presentation for my 8 a.m. class [American Lit. and modernism 1914-60; I presented on prizefighting/boxing/pugilism in the 20s; we're reading In Out Time by Hemingway, "The Battler" you know] and I forgot my gloves so my hands were really cold. Then I locked my bike and my frozen hand flesh got scraped. But it's much nicer out now. I better get to work. Love everyone on here.

Happy tomorrow birthday Mikie. I'm really sad we missed out on the last weekend aka celebration. Sounded fantastic and inspiring. But what in Placerville isn't? (okay don't answer that). Bye.

4 comments:

AdieSpringB said...

Matt, have you read "That Summer in Paris"? It was written about the summer of 1928 spent in Paris around the likes of Hemingway and Fitzgerald and such. The book is written by this guy Morley Callaghan, whom I really like. He was sort of the quiet, humble, wise one, in the midst of all these fame seeking self-centered proud ex-patriot writers... and he writes about how he first met them and all and his first job as a writer at a paper and all the chance happenings that lead him to Paris. It is very ver interesting. Check it out if you get a chance.

PLEASE PLEASE PROVIDE a link to Bella singing. Can I use a sample of it in a song I am making? I am so glad the weather is nice for you and that you felt quite scholarly at your presentation. Me and Art are watching the 7-up series... 42 year ongoing documentary that outlines the lives of about 15 children from very different backgrounds. The first one was in 1964, and every child was 7. They ask about their dreams...hopes....opinions... and then every 7 years the director goes back and does it again. At 14, 21, 28, 35, 42,and now they are at 49. The only one you can get in the Blockbuster store is called 49-Up, the newest one. It is so very fascinating. To see what they all turned out like. It is really amazing actually. The happiest children don't necessarily turn out that way and the weirdest ones turn out....well, you have to see it for yourself. And Amy's self.

heather said...

matt i am so glad you guys loved little miss sunshine and stranger than fiction. dad and i saw stranger than fiction together and we were totally and completely enchanted and in love with it and then a lot of other people said they didn't think it was so great. i did however and i stand by that. about lucky number slevin, i am not so sure. i haven't seen it but i have a bad feeling it is terrible??

yes yes yes post pictures of the kids with their bunkbeds and also a link to bella singing her song and i am so dying to see you guys.

there is a slim chance we will be able to meet up with you guys in l.a. and go to disneyland with you. is anybody else going, from amy's family or ours? love you guys!

Susan said...

I loved Litte Miss Sunshine too. I gave it to Joey for Christmas. I love hearing about the movies you guys watch and what you think of them. Was Lucky Slevin any good, I didn't see that one? Love you...

mattbeatty said...

Lucky Number Slevin was entertaining at least, but not that *great*. See it if you like a kinda-interesting, a bit mysterious, New York City funny wrong-guy-in-the-wrong-place with a neato (sorta) twist at the end, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Josh Hartnett, Stanley Tucci, Lucy Liu type of movie. I do like Stanley Tucci though, I don't know why but he's pretty rad.