Sunday, February 11, 2007

passing through


Welcome Joey, and Darin. Now we're all here, how quaint.

Earlier today I was walking down the streets beneath the San Francisco skyline, drizzled in the rain and crowded around by busy-ness, honking horns and the churning of butter and monsters in my head. I completely looped Union Square whiles talking with Mom on the phone about my zany audition.
In San Francisco, I felt electricity stinging my eyelids as I stepped out from the parking garage and made my way down the street towards Market. The charms there shine all around you, up along the buildings, inside the little corner stores and markets, between the fog-drifts and filling the air with a grey life that just sucks you up. I got to walk around a little, admiring this city from the inside of its bulwarks - put my adventure in a certain perspective. These people do so many things every day that I will never understand. The neon-clad workmen in their hard hats stomping senselessly at piles of mud, the asian hole-in-the-wall jewelers and their questioning smiles - what life is this? I drive in, park my wagon amongst the many, and now I'm walking through the commonality of something more foreign to me than the tallest mountain or deepest ocean floor: the daily lives of people, these slow-motion bums, bustling honey-handers and darkcoat neo's, all interconnectedly woven; all I can do is see and wonder. I mean, really. I don't need to understand. I've got my quest, and the city dwellers go about their business regardless. I'll just be passing through.

How interesting, the difference. But I won't try to take or make too much sense.

After San Francisco, I made my way back onto the freeway and drove Highway 1 back down to Santa Cruz in the rain. It was a pretty day, and I am very tired now. I hope everybody else did well today, Saturday, and that we all have amazing stories to tell.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Mikie, great picture of San Fran and great description. It was great sharing your moments before and after your audtion. Rest for now...

Susan said...

Sorry I just used "great" three times in that comment, I should have previewed it first, I know better - just like when Heather accuses me of saying "beg" for "bag"...Oh well, you know I am somewhat educated.

Susan said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, we still need Artie to sign up...when he's back from Ashland.

Amy Beatty said...

Mikie, when do you get to find out if you made it or not? Im so excited for you. That would be so fun to have you living next to us in our neighboring state. But don't worry if it doesn't work out. I truly believe everything happens for a reason. That just means something better will come around. You are so talented, I really never worry or question whether you will make it or not. I just wonder where I'll get to travel to come see you. Maybe it will be close to home in L.A. or far away like New York, or even further - Paris, maybe. I have no idea. You just got to keep us posted. Lots of love and luck.

Amy Beatty said...

Sorry its me again. I also wanted to say how jealous I am that you were in San Francisco. lucky you, poor me.