Friday, December 5, 2008

Saying Good-bye

We had a funeral for our special little baby girl today. I chose to photograph it because I think that a lot of times we are afraid to really see death as part of life. Here are Emily and Joey with the tiny Harvest. Joey dug a perfect hole in this beautiful spot near Little Miss. Here is Bandini jumping in and out of it. He thought it was a really fun playground we made for him.
Addie and Art came so all six of us we here together. I read something out of my journal that I wrote about her, the story of how we found her and what it was like to have her in our lives.
Bandini loved her so much. He joined us for most of our little ceremony. He was getting into the solemnity of the moment.
Covering her in the earth.
Her sweet little grave. Joey and Emily painted colorful rocks for her.


Bandini came over to rest right by the one that Emily painted of him and Harv together. If you can see it, Harvest is shivering and purring with joy and Bandini is smiling sweetly in the painting.
It has been hard because we all miss her around our house so much. But it was peaceful to do a little ceremony to try to express how much we loved her and to try to let her go. It is kind of a wonderful thing about humans how we can get so attached to our fellow creatures and have such overwhelming love for them.





2 comments:

Susan said...

I wish I could have been there with you! What a sweet celebration of precious little Harvest Moon's life with us. I miss her darling little wise eyes looking at me. I'll never forget her, Love, Momma

Amy Beatty said...

She looked alive in the first picture. it's hard to think of something so beautiful and real - dead. Makes me think of Romeo and Juliet, when he comes to see her when she is dead but she still had a sweet rose color to her. I love that she is right next to little Miss. It's such a nice peaceful spot there.