Sunday, June 22, 2008

happy solstice!

wow. what a sweet san francisco summer solstice we had this year!

june 21 was a truly a perfect day. i didn't even really mind working in the morning because i waited on 32 harley riders and joey and emma came in and then, when it was over i had money in my pocket and fofe waiting for me at the counter so we could take off together.

it was hot, so so hot. i wish i had pictures of me and joey on our way to sf. we drove listening to tons of great music that joey played for us and we drank diet soda because i removed the ban for the road trip, and we sang and talked and just were generally dorky. it was a lovely drive despite the car overheating crossing the bay bridge, and we frantically made it through the streets of san francisco to the palace of fine arts with the temperature gauge creeping up and down like a little tweaker!

we met up with the lovelies. the greatest family. the beattys of all kinds. we hung out by the exploratorium for a while. mike strayer was with us too which is always a treat. here is joey in a eucalyptus tree. i hope to get ahold of mom's pictures so maybe i'll post more later or make sure she does!


we went to haight street, we sold cds at amoeba and searched through the masses of music for darin's choices, and we rushed to buy $2 sweaters at goodwill. there was a cool breeze. everyone was starving and we were walking everywhere and suddenly it was 8:30 and we had to get to cafe du nord on market street.


it is the cutest little red velvety barroom. i always wish i had more pictures, but this blurry one of me kind of gives the feeling. it was the perfect place to see such a rad show. we seriously were lucky to witness some pure musical magic!!!


this is the adorable and talented haley bonar whom we all got instant crushes on:

hayden bliss: matt and amy feeling it:later craziness ensued. at some point after a mad 7-11 trip and a recircling back by said 7-11 at least ten or twelve times, amy got drunk off caffeine. it was a sight to see. no one could NOT laugh when amy laughs like that! for a while there, we were deliriously trapped in the 3:30 morning streets of san francisco. how did this happen? no one knows. but somehow we all made it home.



lucky these are the shortest days of the year so we got to watch the sky lighten as we arrived back in placerville at 6 a.m. i had the loveliest drive with amy. there are people who you never get tired with, who continues to thrill you in conversation and liveliness and life in general, every moment. amy is one of these for me, and i'm sure she is for all of us. i had such a great time with you all. matt and amy, you are probably in wendover right now. i hope you make it to your beds with blissful time to sleep before morning!

5 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Happy Solstice indeed!!!What a whirlwind of a night that was. I loved every moment of it. I wish every Saturday could be as amazingly fun filled. I miss you allllll. p.s. I have been wearing my hayden shirt for two days now(so is Matt) it is the most comfy shirt ever. So dive in yours Em and join the club.

Amy Beatty said...

by the way, Heather you win. She is 24!!!!

heather said...

oh my gosh, how did you find out? i couldn't tell from her myspace. in fact i started thinking maybe matt was more right because she has played with all these big names like wanda jackson and neko case. well, you just never can tell. i'm happy to be right!

mattbeatty said...

Heather, I saw on Billboard.com something that said she released her new album at the age of 24. But this night was amazing, wasn't it? So much fun. This was the best few days of solstice I ever had, with camping, backpacking, dinner at Los Hermanos (that was the actual solstice eve), late nights staying up, then the SF trip! Everything's still so quick and vivid in my mind. Loved it, love you all. Thanks for being such an awesome blogger Heather!

Susan said...

I loved our day in San Francisco! Especially spending it with Jarom and Bella. It was fun for Poppa and I to drive them there to meet you. They are so good. I have such sweet memories of them. It was fun driving back with all three of them. What joy children bring to our lives. I loved being at the Exploratorium with them and wish we all could have had more time. Contrary to what I said about the city, I would go there again if I was with you all. I love my family!