Saturday, July 14, 2007

the honeymoon is over

just kidding.

you guys haven't heard from me in a while, huh?!! thought i might leave you alone for awhile. but i'm back, with something different this time. recommendations.

maybe some of you have already read the book "What is the What" by dave eggers. if not i think you should, for sure, quickly. i guarantee if you read this book it will be quickly because it is utterly absorbing. you will learn things you kind of wish you never knew about africa but feel stupid for not knowing about and will wish to know more more more about the history and craziness and people of this earth.

next up. the movie "Sicko." this goes for you too dad. everyone should see that movie. yes it is michael moore but it is applicable and applaudable (?) to every american human being, whether conservative or liberal or somewhere in between, with or without health insurance. entertaining as well as thought provoking. you won't regret it and it will scare and inspire you all at once. the message in the end is very very positive.

that's it for now. i'm off to del schac. much love and kisses to you.

4 comments:

mattbeatty said...

Excellent recommendations Heather. Though I've partaken in neither, I have definite plans to.

I just read You Shall Know Our Velocity! (as you know), and if you haven't read that, you should as well. You'll learn a bit (at least a wee bit) about Senegal, Morocco, Estonia and Latvia. He's an excellent writer, and I can't say it enough, my contemporary literary hero. And I there aren't that many people that I really like to call my "hero".

As for Sicko, I really want to see that too. Sounds pretty applicable (especially to us "non-insured" USers), and I have certain problems with motivational factors in the medical and pharmaceutical industries.

mattbeatty said...

Hi heather. I really want to read that book. Matt told me a little bit about it. I love to learn new things. I feel bad though because at my work I meet tons of foreigners some from Africa, and just last week one guy from Benin gave me this big spiel about how he hates that people in the USA are not taught the truth about everything and the only things we know about Africa is aids, hunger, war and so on. He wants to make sure that we know about all the good stuff that goes on too. People do have happy peaceful lives there. I'm just glad I get to meet these wonderful people who give me insights into new places. I can't till next year when Matt and I will be able to go to Ghana. Sorry. I made that guy sound kind of mean. But he was a very beautiful soul who just wanted to help shed some light not only about Africa but about every other country too. It really made me see how in the dark our schools and news are about everything. This man worked for the UN and all he wants is "no more wars".

mattbeatty said...

Obviously that last post from Amy, not me. That's what happens with multiple accounts on the same computer!

Joseph Beatty said...

heather. how crazy this is. just two days ago i finished what is the what. have you finished it? were we honestly reading and finishing the same book at the same time? what invisible waves of soul connection we've got. it was amazing. maybe what addie would call unredeeming. but so beautiful, so crazy to put yourself in the mindset of complete desperation and nothing left to do but walk walk wait wait wondering if you'll die and why you're living, you know? i loved it so much. talk more to me about it.from joey