Tuesday, June 5, 2007

In the final week, a gathering -

"Sad, shmad!" Someone shouted amongst the internal throng of Mikiepeople, gathering in Coeur Hall for the meeting that was called.
"yeah! Sad is a Fad! It's splendid to believe in sad!"
"We only choose sad, sad is never thrust upon us!"
"Great quotes!" raises the king's voice. "Well said my friends. I understand your concern, we are Mikiebeatty's after all; we fear no sad. I have brought you here, given you life and limb. I have fed you, fought you, humbled by you I love you and trust you all. You work hard as I steer our organs on its daily course for glory. If you trust me, you do it with your lives. I am your only captain, and today, my friends, I am sad."
Jeremy, counselor to the king, crosses over with knowledge in his eyes.
"don Mikie, I think I have an idea. If my understanding of your sadness is correct, then I might know a way. As always, would like to lasso these feelings of uncertainty and produce an open-ended future full of escape and intrique, as luscious as in the days when you first came to this uncharted island by the sea."
The king sets his hand on Jeremy's shoulders and looks him in the eyes.
"Since our bodies are one, I already know your thinking. And the idea is a good one."
A second voice and hand raises expectantly from the crowd. The king sees, and beckons.
"You there, my comrade in androgeny, get up here! what need for this formality?"
Richard, long-time mate and advisor to the king, takes down his hand and moves smoothly through the crowd.
"Of course, don Mikie," Richard calls, smiling as he makes his way.
"You were there as I read Angi's note just now, and I with you at the climbing gym with Dan. Every performance I guide your smiles, avert your eyes, allow such winks and words and things to sweetly satisfy where you might otherwise be foolish. I know these things, and better than you? Good Captain, allow me part in this. My confidence is backed by a hundred thousand instances of your faith in me, and our work together. I keep your friendships, lovers all, in constant balance and support. I need you as you need me - without your steering hand I cry and guide this massive body into oblivion. Yet if you choose to override my keen advice, you do fall deeper into blindness than from of any other bodily negation. You need me, and I your guidance. Allow me to assist you. In my head, I have a list: of faces, friends and lovers all, recorded and collecting dust. These pages are cracking, Mikie, I think you know what you must do. Your final task, unless you will be stubbornly and strange?"
Jeremy looks to Richard and then Mikie.
"Fine ol' Richard, always the scammer, but so full of truth and good intentions. Not to mention, his thoughts are mine and yours alike, he just fills your mouth with pretty words and always seems to steal the show. Richard, well done again, from Jeremy your friend and foe."
"No fight right now, my man Jeremy. This is not time for you and me, but Mikie is the King. So let us chill and give him reign."
"Chill, he says! A true Societer. This man here surely knows how to avoid being a fighter!"
Richard smiles, Mikie watching.
"Jeremy, you get my goat. But in your weakness do you gloat. Your rhyming has no timing, and there's cuteness in your daunting taunting. Let us save this one for later. Mikie, what say you?"
The good king smiles.
"Boys boys, Boys! Suddenly I am excited. Yes, Richard, I know your plan. And like it too. My counselor Jeremy, I need you close at hand for this. And Richard, your advice is shrewd and timeless. Together we will leave this place, but not without a network set in space. -Darn it Richard, look what you have done. My rhyming is no competition, nor my rhythms so fun, as yours... whatever- Boys! There are many things we must prepare, for the coming voyage is far different than before. There is no distant island we can see. Our course is more a guessing game, and both you know, this is not news. For the past long months we've wasted little time. With skills and good things of this world, our ship and shelves are thickly stacked-up now. New and complex devices adorn our walls and drawers. But I lose myself -
Friends!"
The king smiles at his counselors and turns to the talking throng.
"Thank you for your patience. We have one week, and there is no time to dawdle. I wish all of you to pick one person whom you love, and write down their names. Give them to my counselors and I, and together a network of possibilities shall we form. The words we all have in our heads, I think sound cheesy but reasonable. Pen Pals. Let us all pick pen pals! Even if just for the entertainment of our minds; no sailor, warrior, nor hero does depart without the roots of honour twining through his heart! The path ahead may not exist, and the oceans rough. But as we shove off through the mist, let our open minds at least be occupied, with love."
Smiles and cheers fill the hall.
And then the Mikies break apart
For one last day, at Pizza My Heart.

4 comments:

Susan said...

You told me you would write a story and you did! Sometimes I think you've really got it together, bringing all those different parts of yourself into a "real" being who can counsel you. Whoa - psychoanalytical! What's next for King Mikie and his court? Love you, Mom

Susan said...

I don't mean "sometimes" you - always have it really together. You just blow my mind with your ability to put feelings, thoughts and emotions into words. Like poetry...Love again, Mom

Susan said...

Can't wait to come to Santa Cruz with Adie on Saturday and finally see "The Tempest". It will be fun.

heather said...

b norry it took me so long ti write stormy is helping me type yeah anyway this is CLEVER and i loved it. mikie it's actually quite wonderful. maybe you should make a whlle play..they end was great. love you we can talk more about this later. heather