Monday, March 12, 2007

Fun Weekend in SC


Hey, I wanted to show a couple of pictures I took this weekend in Santa Cruz. The bottom one turned out really cute even though we don't see Stan and Joey isn't posing(that's Darin kissing Heather, duh). Mikie took his mom's hand to lead her from the stairs down to the beach sand in the upper picture. She wasn't going to come down because she didn't have the proper footware. Well, she softened and walked down to the beach where we all watched Heather capture a sand crab. I can still see her (and Addie) doing that many years ago everytime we went to the beach. Anyway, we had a swell time. While down there I called Grandma Georgie and told her where we all were. She wished she could be there so much. She reminded me again how my Dad, Mom and Steve and I used to go to Santa Cruz many summers for a weekend and stay with grandpa & grandma Baker. Grandpa Baker rented a little cottage (really just a little one room structure that was connected to a bunch of others, kind of like a motel, just a block away from the beach/boardwalk) for a month. He loved it there. Then Grandma Baker would come over for part of the time. Mom told me dad really didn't like the beach that much. He didn't like the sand!! Actually talking to her was kind of sad because I figured that unless some special effort was made (which I suppose is a possibility), she probably wouldn't be able to be there again during her life on this earth.
So we had fun seeing the production at the Barn. Interesting, a little baffling at times (is baffling a good word?), but fun. Mikie starred in all the segments (3 or 4 in all) They all did a great acting job.
We, Heather, Darin, Joey and myself went from there Sat. morn to Modesto to take part in the get together for Grandma Georgies party. It was very nice and great food. Heather made a yummy corny/bean salad. Thanks to Darin and Joey for doing some of the driving.
ya know, I only can think of one thing on my exciting to do list at this time and that is:
Getting Heto to say "Ricky/Bobby" We're working on it.
(really there are many others which I will list sometime maybe)
So there you have it. Love from Dad

2 comments:

heather said...

dad i just wrote out a nice long comment and somehow the computer lost it!!! agghh! anyway the gist was: great blog, i think you captured the weekend very well and i am already nostalgic for it. i like hearing the little stories about the past, and i do think indeed we can arrange to bring grandma to the beach one more time!!! how about in june, when darin and i are back from our trip but before i start working a lot again? is she comfortable with a fairly long car ride? we'll talk. nice job!

mattbeatty said...

Dad, I'm totally with Heather here (and I already told you earlier), but I love hearing the little stories--however little they are--about your youth. For some reason it makes me think of my own, all the good things, the fact that you haven't always been just *my dad* but you did similar things to what I've done and what my kids are now doing, and your memories and similar and so on. You need to dredge up a few more and articulate them for us here on the blog. Better yet--write us all a book! It should be called, "Before I Was
Papa" or something.

Oh yeah, and if possible--now that you've brought it up--you have to try to get Grandma to the beach again. Take Heather's suggestion maybe. Wish we there last weekend.