Monday, August 6, 2007

we make our own luck







it's been quite a summer.

this last week or so has been filled with:

blackberry picking (carolann's fave)

farmer's market - a big group of us walked down and randomly saw dad there, he shared a yummy smoothie with us, and mikie rode up on his bike

cooking - doniella is an inspiring chef. she uses garlic liberally and creates the best concoctions you can imagine, with fresh veggies from the farmer's market!

river trips - lotus, i went alone, and was wishing for my friends to magically find me, and they did! then on saturday, swansboro with a nice little hike involved and totally secluded and wild and magical

quilting - me, rebecca, doniella and carolann working on a marriage quilt for mary and ben, it's a tree design and very lovely

parties - one at rebecca and zack's last week, one at my house this week

dancing - both at parties and then at the bars - carolann, doniella and i dressed up in prarie girl sundresses and went out on the town and danced our booties off!

cozmic cafe - darin's work/hangout - delicious food and a summery hanging out vibe

bicycles - i have decided dad needs a bike too, so he can use it to go to the farmer's market and also take it on camping trips. bikes are great!

"the mountain's dream" - this is the movie darin is working on which is beginning to involve everyone we know. stan is the cinematographer, jamie van camp is co-producer, mikie plays an arrogant golfer, and is also in on the planning, addie plays a tongueless violin player, and i play a mountain hermit. leading roles are all played by friends. darin is very very excited about this and it is a guiding force for the rest of the summer.

50s day - gives me a chance to dress up for work once a week! (see photo above) and guess what, this past sunday (yesterday) I WON!!! i will get $25 as a prize. pretty excited about that.

missing joey, matt, amy and the kids and addie - i've been around mikie a lot which has been great fun and inspiring, but i miss the rest of you my siblings. and even my parents. you guys are all my social community too!

can't wait to fill the rest of the days of this month with glorious trips and adventures and love and spirit!

6 comments:

mattbeatty said...

Heather, that is the cutest blog. I love all the fun pictures and activities. Sounds like you have had a magical summer indeed. You really know how to enjoy the finer things in life.

Amy Beatty said...

That was me.

mattbeatty said...

I love the polaroid photo 1970s look. Those pictures are rad. I gotta get me a polaroid.

I'm having a fun summer too, but I'm envious of some of your fun. That's right, envious. Sounds so rad. We were just talking yesterday about how we're not going to end up in Placerville (there aren't any schools there I'm thinking of going to), but this blog may just have convinced me otherwise.

Can't wait to be in town there again, seeing family and friends and having fun.

Yes, Dad needs a bike! Wish you guys could bring yours out here, there are so many pretty trails and biking options.

Can I be in the movie? Excited to see it.

Congratulations, 50's day winner. Is this a Mel's-only thing?

heather said...

matt i am sure darin would LOVE you to be in the movie. if stan comes on our family trip he can film a scene with you in it. the only thing is, most of the scenes have one of the two main characters interacting with strange weirdos...jocelyn and jacob play the two main characters and they probably WON'T be on our family trip with us...but maybe we can figure something out. when are you coming to town again?

yeah, 50s day is for all the mel's in our corporation...no one likes to get dressed up quite as much as i do...but i usually open so i'm only there till about 11:00 am or so, not long enough to garner a lot of votes. this past sunday was crazy busy and i was there through the lunch rush so that's what helped me win. i was dressed like mrs. cleaver (beaver's mom) in vintage apron, old fashioned dress, hair piled up on my head.

as for placerville, of course it's not always this fun. but we do have good river spots nearby and a cute farmer's market and lots of fun exploring you can do on foot or bike. but even if you lived in CALIFORNIA think of the fun explorations we could all do! our friends are really pretty scattered between the City, Sac, and even Santa Cruz but people are willing to come together for adventures!

Susan said...

Heather, Yea! I'm so glad you won, did you get a picture. I'm so proud you were wearing my old dress! What a fun week you had last week, you fit so much into it. It's been quite a year for you. Love you, Mom

Susan said...

Joey needed to be in those pictures, that's whats missing.