Monday, February 9, 2009

Glacier National Park

Alright I'm getting this shiz together, I'm taking control. Actually, Heather and me started taking control this morning. We are working on plans for our trip this summer, with its primary focus as Glacier National Park in very northern Montana. Now, I really hope that everyone will get into this idea (so far, me and emma and heather and darin and matt and amy are all into it,) because I know it is inevitably happening for me, and I want it to be a beautiful group experience like Havasu was. I have wanted to explore the vastness and magnificence of Glacier for more years than I can remember, so it's happening for me NO MATTER WHAT. With that said, I will present Heather and my tentative (but hopefully pretty permanent) plan.

Okay, so far we are planning to leave Placerville the morning of Friday, July 31st. Emma and me want to do a leg of this trip on our own, and this trip to us is more than just Glacier, it also is going to include the Pacific Northwest, so we wanted to do that part just me and her. So, her and I are going to head north toward oregon on july 31st, and heather and darin (so far) are going to head over to Provo, where they will meet up with Matt and Amy and their offsprings and take off the next morning (saturday, August 1st) toward South Dakota. Emma and me will spend the next five days exploring the northwest and making our way toward Missoula, Montana, which is where we will be meeting up with everyone else so we can all go up to Glacier (north of Missoula, about two hours I think) together. Heather and Darin and the MattAmy posse (and anyone else who is joining them) will be using those same five days to explore the South Dakota Badlands and the site of the Battle of Little Bighorn and the Black Hills and all that beauty. So, our plan is to meet and camp in Missoula, Montana, on tuesday evening, August 4th. We can camp together maybe, whatever, we'll figure that out, and then the next morning we will all drive to Glacier hopefully pretty early so we can have a nice full day. I think we should enter Glacier at it's west entrance, a place called Apgar. Apgar is a great place to embark on the Going-To-The-Sun-Road, which we definitely plan to do. The road spans the somewhat-southern longitude of the park. We are going to be doing that with our first day, I think the road is about 40 miles long, and we can it last until the early evening. It will be somewhat relaxing and aweinspiring. At the end of the road on the eastern end of Glacier lies St. Mary, which is where we should camp on the night of wednesday the 5th of August, our first night in Glacier. The next day, thursday the 6th, we can explore a bit at St. Mary, check out St. Mary Lake, all that, and then I think we should drive that day about 25 miles west to an area called Many Glacier, where we should spend that nite, thursday, camping. On the drive there we would cross through a town called Babb, very close to Canada in the Blackfeet Reservation. Anyhow, we can spend thursday nite at Many Glacier, which is surrounded by lakes rivers and lakes and glaciers and perfection purity of nature.

Okay, so friday is controversial, maybe, because i REALLY want to do at least a one-nite backcountry backpacking trip. My current plan is to backpack one nite (friday nite) starting in the early morning of friday, either to Cracker Lake or Poia Lake (both with trailheads beginning very close to where we'd be camping at Many Glacier). Cracker Lake's hike is only 6.1 miles, and Poia Lake is 6.4 miles. I think Poia Lake is a good choice, because I don't think it's as well known, and would probably have fewer people. Plus, I'm still not exactly sure if Cracker lake is totally accessible from Many Glacier. I'll look more into it. Anyways, I want to camp in the backcountry on friday nite, the 7th. Everyone let me know how you feel about that, because even if not everyone is into it I still want to do it, its one of my goals of the trip. And if our group is big enough we could even maybe split up that nite. Whatever, we'll see. Also, I just read a bit about an awesome cave located on the eastern side of Poia Lake. We could explore it! We would need headlamps and all that, since it is quite a tight squeeze. Have any of you explored a cave of that capacity? I have once and it is so unbelievably fun and beautiful. I hope someone would be into doing that with me.

Okay, so then Saturday we can do whatever, explore and see and ponder and wonder. hike around, swim, whatever. Sunday morning, maybe Matt and AMy and the kids will take off (heather told me you guys can only do a weekend, plus a week, plus a weekend, so matt you might want to be back to work monday the 9th? let me know if thats right or if this all sounds okay to you.) I think it'd be cool to stay maybe one more nite there, the rest of us (so far me, emma, heather, darin) and camp one more nite, maybe at a different spot of our choosing. we'll see, whatever. Anyways, that would be the end of our Glacier time, Sunday for matt and amy, and either Sunday or Monday for the rest of us. We'll figure it out.

Then, It is the current plan for us California folk to take a trip thru the northwest, into Canada, and take about a week getting home back to California. We can see whistler in Canada and Vancouver, and then Anacortes and Victoria and the San Juan Islands on the way home. In fact, we might want to take more than a week so we wont be rushed and pressed by weird modern civilization systems of time, we should really try our best to be as free and roaming as possible, relinquish timeframes and deadlines and just explore the earth. Anyways, maybe we could be back in California and at "home" by August 18th (tuesday) or something like that?

Okay, just so everyone knows, THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING, no matter what. Not everyone has to be super into it, but I've been mentally planning this trip for a long time and Im super into it and excited. True mountainous exploration! Please, let me know what you all think about it. It would be about 2.5 weeks or so of travel. That might be too much for some, but I know that I want to do a somewhat lengthy trip this summer no matter what, and this is it for me. initially I wanted to do a month or two and explore the vast US, but we've decided to make it more of a trip focuses on certain destinations (ie, for me and em, the pacific northwest, Glacier, Canada.)

Really what I want input on SOON is the backpacking aspect of Glacier, because I'll need to apply as soon as possible for a backcountry permit thru the NPS. So please let me know what you think of the dates and all that, because I want to apply for that soon.

Everyone please tell me whats up with you on how you feel about all this.

ITS GOING TO BE SO INCREDIBLE! GET EXCITED WITH ME !!!!!
heres some pictures

This is Apgar, where we would start the Going To The Sun Road.



This is the road.



This is St. Mary, where we should camp for a nite, on wednesday.



This is Many Glacier, where I think we should stay a few days. This is the Many Glacier hotel. Obviously, we would be camping, but this hotel, nevertheless, is pretty crazy looking. We'd try to steer clear as much as could from having to look at it.



This is a campsite in the Many Glacier campground. I think it looks effing perfect.



This is a photo of Poia Lake, where I think we should spend one nite in the backcountry.



Here is a picture of part of the Poia Lake Cave. How incredible!



This is Babb, Montana, in the Blackfeet reservation. We will be passing thru this town as we drive from St. Mary to Many Glacier. We could stop and get food.




Alright guys, here is ONE MORE IDEA. Maybe, as an alternative to staying in St. Mary on Wednesday, our first nite, we should just drive ALL THE WAY (not that much further) to Many Glacier after finished the Going To The Sun Road. We could get lunch in Babb and then camp primarily in Many Glacier, instead of moving campsites. I think this idea is much more economical and would give us an oppurtunity to explore more of a certain area. Also, my favorite part of this idea, maybe we could up our backpacking trips length from 1 to 2 nites. I really think this would be perfect please let me know. love you all!

11 comments:

Papa Dan said...

It all sounds terrific Joey. Not sure if I would get all that time off but would for sure want to see most of what you listed. Looks like gorgeous country. Glacier Natl park has always been on my mind as a place to visit since an old friend, Alan Hamlin, rode his motorcycle across southern Canada, took pictures of his trip including Glacier and I saw them--so, so beautiful.

Joseph Beatty said...

dad, yea i know itd be tough for probably you especially to get all that time off. but could you at least get about a week like matt and amy? you are a vital part of this trip. all of it! but for sure the whole of our glacier adventures. we'll talk more about it im sure. its weird to talk over the internet since you live about a half a mile from me.....

heather said...

hey guys, i am really pumped on this too. darin and i plan on taking two weeks at least off work. i have loved looking at pictures of glacier natl park on flickr and so forth, you can check them out. it really gets me excited to hike and camp and lay in meadows and feel like i'm at the top of the world. i am also even just excited for the road trip part of it. darin and i want to camp with matt and amy and the kids in south dakota, maybe even in a teepee on the greasy grass river. at least that's what the indians called it. CANNOT WAIT. any input from mikie and candice? matt and amy? addie and art? looking forward to planning more!!!

AdieSpringB said...

joey in honesty i haven't read the whole thing but i am stoked on this trip....

AdieSpringB said...

hah- heather said "really pumped on this"!

Susan said...

Hey Joje, you've got a great plan. Beautiful country! I wish I could go to Glacier with you guys! I won't have enough vaca left tho.
I might have to do another year vicariously. I want to see Yellowstone sometime too!. For reals not thru pics.
Love you Joey, your music makes my day in the a.m.

heather said...

hey, i AM really pumped. it is the perfect word to describe the blood racing through my veins as i imagine big north country road tripping!!!

Hoodoo Voodoo said...

jojo
i know ive already told you this a million times, but THIS SOUNDS PERFECT! I want to leave today!!! I hope everyone can coordinate their schedules enough, it sounds like its gonna work out!! And Im so excited about our Canada leg of the trip. our "canadian leg" if you will....

mattbeatty said...

Emily--I will.

Joey, this is great. You and I just talked on the phone so you know how I feel. We're up for all of it, everything, even a little spelunking (which I know Jarom would also be into). I'm acquiring knowledge and we'll talk more.

Heather, we need to plan our SD part pretty closely to determine dates and such. And I am *very* thrilled (pumped) about this too.

Mom, I really, really wish you could come. And I feel tragically bad about stealing all your vacation hours in April. I'm sorry . . . if we split it up a little (so that you get some help) would you have enough time? Let's talk about it.

Dad, you better come for all of it.

Love you all.

heather said...

mattie we definitely don't HAVE to go to SD. darin and i have been there and would not mind taking more time to explore montana. but if you guys want to see some sights/sites there, then we'd love to. a couple things i think you guys would love are the badlands, the black hills, (we could drive by rushmore if so inclined) and of course, the wounded knee site on pine ridge reservation. also, all of this could be a trip of its own next summer or something. no matter what i think darin and i will drive to provo first and find our way up to glacier with you guys. probably dad will come with us, and i am thinking mikie and candice too? addie and art are going their own way through idaho i believe and meeting at missoula. anyway the battlefield of little bighorn where custer was killed (custer's last stand if you will, i won't) is in southern montana a couple hours from beat lodge/devils tower in wyoming.

let's talk more about all this. you and amy and kids should decide what you really want to try to do/see on this trip. i know you guys have bigger fish to fry at the moment with the whole africa trip. and don't worry, darin and i are pretty much open to anything. the joy is in the journey to us.

i do have one question, looking at a map i am curious how long you think it would take to get to for instance, rapid city south dakota from provo. it looks like a day's trip to me, but i could be underestimating. same goes for most of northern wyoming and such. also it looks to me like on the day you guys leave it is only a day's trip (sunday) from missoula to your home. does that seem reasonable?

love you guys and can't wait!

Amy Beatty said...

I is so glad you folks are getting this together!!!OH ya!!