Monday, August 4, 2008

Last minute stuff and weather

hi friends. It's me. Adie. The google internet-research queen of them all. I have literally spent hours and hours, probably topping 30 or so, straight on this here internet, reading about Havasu Falls, reading blogs, researching mileage, different routes, areas surrounding, motels, the weather.

Which brings me to this square little factoid. I'm kind of a big deal..................... jk..... I mean, I know what I am talking about (fact wise- not random things happening-wise).

So,......the weather.
The little city that sits 2 miles from our campground is called Supai. It could also be called by Havasupai, like in the old days, but nowadays that mixes it up with Lake Havasu city and others, so the nation calls it SUPAI. Look it up on wikipedia if you don't believe me. It is the only city in America that still gets its mail by mule. It has been inhabited by the Havasupai Indians for, they blindly estimate I am sure, over 800 years. Now there are about 500 people living in that reservation city.

Anyhoo, why do you care about all this.? Weather....... I had a crunk of a time trying to get the right weather at first. I went to 3 internet weather places and finally researched on a map to see that I needed to look up Supai to find the weather. Otherwise the weather places get it mixed up with the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Lake Havasu and what not.
Here are 3 weather stations to look at the weather via. Check Supai, AZ. It is the city we will hike 8 miles to before going another 2 to our camps.

Weather.com
accuweather.com
wunderground.com

So.....from what I gather, we are gonna have a less than horrific heat-time this year! It may even be mild, if you call 90 degrees mild, which I do after the initial scare of people telling me it would 105 at midnight! So it looks like there is very very likely going to be some rain and monsoon, and it is going to be nice other than that. Not too hot, 62 degrees at night...etc.

I suggest we all bring lots of black plastic trash sacks to shield ourselves from wetness, and maybe a few of those absorbent towels "camp towels" they weigh nothing.

Also..........do you believe in magic? Cause this trip is going to be a dose of it!Keep in MIND that when we are on Highway 266 we are going to drive through a ghost town called Gold Point and I just read alot about it somewhere (maybe a newspaper?). It is AWESOME. We should stop and get a beer at the local bar because I read how they always dress old tyme. Even if we just stop off for a few minutes, it will be worth it.

Oh,......so here's the route.......Me and Heather went over this for a while online.

395 to BIG PINE. Turn left at CA 168- go 37.6 miles
Slight right at CA-266 go 4.6 miles to Nevada and then keep going on that highway 40 miles
Turn right on US 95 go all the way down thru Las Vegas
to US 93 (it turns into it) which you follow into Kingman, AZ where we will spend the night.

TO get to the motel
Take the I-40/ US 93 exit South toward Phoenix, Flagstaff
Merge onto I-40 Purple Heart Trail 3.7 miles
Take exit 53 (AZ-66/ Andy Devine Ave) toward Kingman Airport go .2 miles
Turn right at E. Andy Devine go .2 miles to the motel.


okokok gots to go pack and go to the bachelorette party!

love you all, can't tom waits

adie

3 comments:

heather said...

HOOOOORRRRAAAAYYYYY!!! i am so so so excited. no matter what happens now, we are going to make it an adventure of a lifetime. i love the sound of that tiny ghost town. i am all about stopping for refreshments there.

okay gang from pville, don't forget, we are LEAVING my house at 4:00 am that is 4 a.m. four o clock in the morning. got it?!!! come spend the night at my house.

mikie, candice, stan, phil, joey, emma, me, darin, dad and (let's hope!!!) martin.

Susan said...

Did you guys every go to that tiny ghost town? I still need details. Love, Momma

mattbeatty said...

Dang, I need to comment, but this business is already over. At least, it's over physically. Spiritually it's still happening!