Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I can't wait until next year

as I sit here glaring impatiently at a slowly rising percentage rate on the status of my Flickr upload, I can't help but marvel a little bit over the fact that 48 hours ago I was nestled in a sleeping bag deep in the canyon walls of the Havasupai reservation with twelve other amazing individuals. 24 hours later I'd be driving into Fresno for a 2 1/2 hour sleep. 24 hours previous I had never climbed the pour-overs of a chocolate jungle waterfall. I mean, between the stars and mule poop, is there a single moment that took place over the past six or seven days that any of us had experienced before? Dad may be exempt, but maybe not. From the moment we pulled out of Heather's driveway and made our own way up the morning route to the Sierras, adventures from not even my wildest dreams and nightmares ensued that have shook me like a tree of apples with too much fruit, I can only hope to remember how sweet it all tastes.
There's something to be said about returning, about coming back to "regular" life, daydreaming about the luxuries of having no food but dehydrated rice and packaged tuna, no water but a faucet sticking phallically from of a canyon's rock wall, no shelter except from rainproof tents rolled up on our backs.
I have some really vivid images in my head. In fact, for the first time in a while I think I can remember every single thing that happened to us this week, from the first 3am to the last one, I've got every second ingrained into my mind's eye like black dots after looking at the sun too long. There are the haunting things like a rushing brown muddy cascade or the smell of burnt horseflesh and feces, and there are fantastical things like the Milky Way's stars over a canyon silhouette, or a line of Indians dancing in Hopi garb to drums, and there are gorgeous things like blue-green pools and a pretty girl with hair tied like an Indian princess, or unexpected things like a rainforest spring or the stupefying beauty of Navajo Falls, or scary things like leaving Dad alone at 4 am in the Grand Canyon or standing at the edge of a 190 foot waterfall, or exhausting things like packing a tent at 2 am or not sleeping because of heat and bugs, or edible things like pasta and tuna with sauce, peaches, oatmeal, instant coffee, clif bars, Matt's honey-trail-mix-bars, Stan's fry bread, Candice's cookie crumbs, Art's homemade jerky, Dad's pudding, Baja Fresh and McDonald's chicken wraps... i could keep going. There's too much, and no point in writing it since I'm not planning on forgettng any of it.
The hike we did this week was definitive. It was an unbelievable journey.
Matt, you pointed out down there that this wasn't a vacation, it was an adventure. And you were so correct, in my tiredness I had lost the point - we aren't tourists we're explorers. Thank you guys, for the adventures of last week, I can't seem to get off the high of it. It's funny how simply being in nature makes you feel so good, like it reminds you of some obvious truth that everybody seems to have twisted slightly askew.. at least that's what it does to me. So thank you all again, Dad, Addie, Heather, Matt, Joey, Candice, Art, Darin, Amy, Emily, Stan, Joey, Phil, Candice, Art, Addie, Matt, Amy, Dad, Heather, Emily, Darin, Phil, Stan and Darin. Am I forgetting anyone? What an f**g awesome week. Seriously. I can't wait until next year, let's start planning, now.
And sorry I got ornery.
I love you all
-Mikie

101_6077

6 comments:

heather said...

mikie, what a gorgeous picture and thank you for being so excited about it all and writing so many details; i am on a high from it too and i do think being in nature and walking everywhere with just our own bodies really helps us be more fully alive. next year? how about next month too? i am ready to have a more wild life. the more blue-green water it includes, the better. anyway i love you and it was so fun hanging out with you guys and all the rest.

Amy Beatty said...

I love that picture, it makes everything coming flooding back at full speed. I can't wait to go again, when ever that will be, hopefully 2010 if not sooner. I know Joey and Papa already have a place in mind for next year.!I love you all xoxo!!!

Susan said...

Mikie that picture is unbelievably beautiful.

AdieSpringB said...

Mikie- I am ready to plan for it next April! (or October) What is this other place we got planned? Anyone wanna hike to Horsetail Falls for my birthday?

heather said...

i'm ALL FOR a hike to horsetail falls. i think there are some good swimming holes around there i am going to look into. what day is your birthday ade?

mattbeatty said...

Heather you should know Adie's birthday. It's September 10th. You're really losing your memory.

The idea for next year is Glacier National Park in Montana. I think it was technically Joey's idea, or Dad's. I know it's on Dad's list of top three places to go (he just told me this the other day). It's beautiful, and in August there're tons of great hikes, backcountry, old 1930s lodges with no roads to them, the amazing Chief Mountain to scale! (the border between Glacier and the Blackfeet), Canada is just a few miles away (together with Canada's Waterton Lake National Park, the two parks combined are an International Peace Park!)--that sort of thing. It'd be a long drive, but maybe we could meet up in Idaho Falls, or Twin Falls . . . either way I think the drive would be spectacular and so much fun. So that's the idea; make of it what you will.

And we're definitely going to be going back to Havasupai soon. It has to be soon. At least 2010, and again for the Peach Festival (or what Ed Abbey calls the Great Havasupai Sacred Peach Festival). I think that village needs support from Havasupai-lovers and -respecters like us. It's sad to see how many people (at least online) find plenty of reasons to bash them, even if supposedly "objective" or "unbiased."