Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Angels, wheels, valleys and smoke, 19th floor Disney Channel

Howdy touts.
I'm sitting here upstairs in a "house" at Warner Brothers studios. It's lights-off in here because, well literally, nobody's home. None of the television shows are running - they've literally halted production. (In case you don't already know, there is one massive strike going down surrounding the entertainment industry in LA, the Writer's Guild of America). This building I'm in is used as the writers' headquarters for the show Bing Bang Theory. Nikki is a personal assistant to the writers here, so she gets me on the lot to come visit. And literally, it's almost riot-like outside so NOBODY is around the studio lots. SO, let me just declare that I'm using the Big Bang Theory computers to write you guys, so this message should have a golden lining.
Anyway, I'm in LA. This city is so darn interesting and terrible all at once! But I think I'm figuring it out. It's a matter of where you place yourself, and more importantly, talking to people rather than judging based on appearances alone. The people here at the only substance, in all this muck it's the liquid life of the individual that keeps madness at bay here. And so, I'm a bit lucky to get to spend time in the best parts of this place, on a television studio lot and at a house in Griffith Park.
Around noon this morning I was on the 19th floor of the Disney Channel building, standing in a deafeningly quiet lobby, with glittering framed Disney posters on the walls, blank walls, cameras in the corners of hallways and did I mention how silent it was up in there? Well, except for me and the three or four other boys doing callback auditions for this Disney spot role I was there for. Then I met some important people, talked to a camera, and now I'm contemplating driving back to Placerville up 395. ciao

1 comment:

heather said...

wow mikie you are seeing history take place! hollywood history counts because entertainment shapes america...it is popular culture and more important than at first glance. the office is shut down. they cleared out their desks literally. right in the middle of filming their funniest episode ever, pam says on her blog! and so yes, i agree, la is a crazy place...good and evil and sad and joyous and everything all at once. i am proud of the writers and directors and actors and everyone taking place in the strike. the studios should not be getting richer due to "new media" that is, internet. anyway, did you look up my friend cristin penn? she goes by c-penn on myspace. i wrote her a message and gave her your number but maybe she won't have a chance to call...she is the RADDEST...i call her lulu. i support coming back up 395 but you should stick around and be part of history and meet people and show them how cute and talented you are!