Monday, May 7, 2007

new calendar

Okay guys, per Dad's excellent suggestion, I just added this calendar. It may be a bit tricky. See, it'll show us ALL any events, etc. that we choose to place on it. The only trick is you need to have a Google account (which I think Mikie, Heather, Amy and I have). So I sent everyone invitations at the email address they use for the blog. Please sign up! Unless you think it's too hard, confusing, or just a plain bad idea. If that's the case, comment and let me know. I think it could be useful for camping trips, for road trips, graduations, plays, performances, shows, whatever and ever.

So, to use it--follow the invitation email I sent you. I think it'll come from me (Matt) or some homey called Beattytown. Then, go to calendar.google.com and sign in/create an account. After you're done, you'll see on the left a little drop-down arrow and a section that says "Calendars". Under that you'll see *two* calendars: your "personal" one will be on top and probably says your name, and the Beatty family one (which I lovingly called "Beattytown") should be below it. That means you have full access to *both* those calendars.

Whenever you add an event (which you can do just by clicking on any day/time/etc. on the calendar--but not from the blog, sadly, only from the Google Calendar website), you can then select *which* calendar to add the event to. So just select the Beattytown calendar and add away! The events should show up quickly on the blog calendar-version, or just refreshing the page will make them show.

It's really pretty easy! Try it out. I added a simple little event on August 16th for my graduation commencement. You can see a blue link which you can just click on to view/edit the event. *OR* you can click the "Agenda" tab at the top and it will show you all of the upcoming events, agenda-style! Cool huh. (We can also make it so the calendar shows the Agenda tab *first*, if we like. Please please, any recommendations/comments/hatemail/criticisms welcomed.)

What do you think? Good/bad? Yea/nay? Useful? Can you use it Dad?

2 comments:

Papa Dan said...

Wow Matt that was fast, just talked to you about an hour ago. Well you know I think that the calendar addition is an excellent idea. We can plan ahead more accurately with it. I think that whenever someone adds an event to the calendar, he or she should put their initials so we know who added it. (if it will allow for that) Anyway good job. Love, Dad

mattbeatty said...

I think that's a good idea. We can just add our initials to the description portion of the event, or something like that.