Friday, May 18, 2007

Fiddle-Faddle Bodyguard

Joey just fell asleep in the next room, and I'm sitting here worrying. How stupid.

I am a safe person. I feel like I know what's safest, how most safely to solve an unsafe, unpredicatbly dangerous situations. Yes. I practice my safety daily. My efficiency, my economical, punctual, balanced sense of the realest real, trying to always achieve a state of "Aware and Prepared".

Then somebody else gets hurt.

BAM! Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Mikie, we're all here to the Rescue!

For instance, when we backpacked up that masterpiece slope of demonic lightning thunderstorms, I was more scared and displaced from my safety net than I had been in years. and you know what I learned from that trip? To trust other people's judgments when mine are disagreeing. To let people do their things, and know that I am not responsible for their choices. Basically, to trust that other people know how to be Safe just like I know how to be Safe.

The hard part then is to watch somebody else be "unsafe," and sit there letting them do it.
It makes you question your notions of safety and freewill, and what's right.
Well I don't want to be right, I just want to be safe. But sometimes, the safest way ain't the right way.

My dilemma, that of the Fiddle-Faddle Bodyguard. I have a motherly instinct in me to try and control the outcome of a situation so that the results are the most economically and socially sound and equal, and safe. I guard that Fiddle-Faddle, not because I want to eat it, but so nobody gets to eat more than their fair share of it, so that our little social circle stays equal, and safe.

Here's to hoping that other people are correct in being so nonchalant about seemingly dangerous situations. And to hoping that sometimes it's best if you just leave that Fiddle-Faddle, unguarded, alone.

Cheers.
Mikie

3 comments:

Joseph Beatty said...

sounds like communism. JUST kiddin! thanks for worryin about me dude, but im fine. but a flesh wound. just a little mangled one. plus fiddle faddle is delicious and i want some.im hungry.

Susan said...

okay, so you're a worry wart like me. Oh boy, you're in for a life time of worrying. I'm glad you were there to commiserate with Joey on his wound. It does look bad, I'd probably have a heart attack! Love you, Mom

AdieSpringB said...

fiddle faddle bodyguard is one of the best terms the beattys ever coined.