Monday, May 28, 2007

The Mission
















I just watched a movie I think you all should watch. It is amazing, it's called "The Mission" filmed in 1986 with Jeremy Irons and Robert DeNiro. It was heartbreakingly stunning. It's about Jesuit Priests in Paraguay who teach the Guarini Indians Christianity and how after they have grown to love these people so much and teach them music and open up to their beauty and innocence, the Catholic orders them to pull out of the missions and return all the peoples back to the forests. But, they don't want to go because many of them are caught and sold into slavery. The music which is composed by Ennio Morricone - who just won a lifetime achievement award for composing music for soundtracks at the Oscars, and whose music is so heartbreakingly, soul searchingly, gorgeous - is hauntingly beautiful. This movie was filmed 21 years ago but it is timeless. Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons are perfect. This movie is based on fact and history, look it up. What mankind has done to each other in the history of this world is tragic and at times beautiful.

Anyway, I know this is my first post in ages. I've spent many happy hours with Joey, Amy, and the babies and am so so happy to have Heather and Darin back. I'm not going to let myself be lonely and watching movies like this helps me get outside of myself and learn more of the world. I have a dress to make for Heather to wear at her wedding (after the ceremony) a carrot cake to bake for a certain special someone's 20th birthday - then everyone can decide if they do want that kind of cake for Heather's and Darin's wedding. Not to mention all the many books I am reading, want to read and also listen to so there's not an empty moment in my life. I love to follow all of you kids and your adventures, but I realize I need to stay busy and adventurous too! Luckily I have lots of free entertainment by working at the library getting to check out movies, books on cd etc. free of charge. Thanks Joey so much for getting all of us in to see Spiderman III over the weekend. I loved it. I love the Spiderman movies! It was so much fun to see Adie and Art at their concert at the Fox and the Goose on Friday night. They are wonderful as usual. It was great to hang out with them on Saturday night even though I didn't stay for the dinner. What a great couple they are! I loved every second I spent with my grandchildren, they truly are the lights of my life. What a joy to bring a smile to that precious baby Orion's face and play patty cake with him. He is full of smiles for everyone. It was so fun having Jarom, Bella, Amy and Orion stay with me while Matt was gone. It loved it so much and will have a hard time putting away all the toys! There's nothing I love more than children playing and the sound of children playing. When I was first married I lived right next to a school playground (it was behind our house when we lived at 2205 East Lincoln in Escondido) and when I was pregnant with Adrienne and after I quit work when she was born and throughout my pregnancy with Heather - and staying home caring for them, I would hear the children playing at recess on the playground. What a joyous sound.


But my mind wanders, back to the movie, please get it, rent it or buy it (it's worth every cent as well as the soundtrack) and watch it, if only for the beauty of the waterfalls and the music.

I love you guys, you're my life...


Mom

4 comments:

heather said...

mama, i am so with you about how fun it was to have amy and matt and the kids around...life is so full of joy and rambunctious energy with them. addie and art were adorable on saturday too, and i have never seen anything so cute as them driving jarom around in the convertible with the top down, and his little precious arm up waving to us behind them. i am proud of you for wanting to stay busy too. we can think of some adventures for you i am sure. i love you and it is nice to be near you!

Joseph Beatty said...

hey mom, ill rent that movie soon when i finish v for vendetta, which i rented the other day and ive watched most of it. i love you and miss you. dont be sad.
love joey

heather said...

mom we got it on dvd from blockbuster.com already! darin says "your mom's pretty hip." because you bought the soundtrack to the painted veil right away and you like really good movies. i was proud.

AdieSpringB said...

we shall queue it up on blockbuster.com. Sounds just like my cup of tea. See you soon. I love ya mom. You got your whole lifetime in front of you. What to do, what to do with all that free time? LIVE and LOVE and find out what you love more and more everyday!