Friday, April 6, 2007

I don't have kids. Instead,


In five hours and forty minutes I get to wake up, take a shower, put on some clothes, and go

perform a Shakespeare play for some San Josean junior high school kids.

I smell like campfire smoke.

I climbed a 200-foot tree today to overlook the cloudy Monterey Bay from the top.

I delivered a free pizza to Lex from Survivor about a week ago, and he gave me a ten dollar tip.

I learned how to say "I'm hungry" in spanish, then I forgot. (yo tango something)

I made close friends with an older Oklahoma girl the past two days who loved the outdoors.

I hosted a barbecue last night that fed a bunch of hungry returned college kids.

I bought an illustrated map of Los Angeles from Santa Cruz bookstore this morning.

Tonight we took about twenty loaves of free bakery breads and layed them out spread on our

table and counters when we got home.

My room's a mess. My car is dirty.

I walked all day.

I live a street away from the beach.

I saw a plenty of beautiful women and tourists today.

I have a wad of cash under my nightstand.

I have a college degree.

I have a great car.

I imagine life hits a point of satisfaction that is constant and reassuring.

I imagine that we discover an ultimate solution that takes us and nourishes where's dry, curing

our diseases and filling up our ears.

-I also pretend that this satisfaction exists nowhere and it's all my imagination, so that I won't

ever achieve it,

and then I believe that my imagination is more accurate than reality and that I can achieve the
impossible.

So I play thick video games.

I don't have girlfriends.

I never stop looking through bookstores.

I always ask questions.

I am honest.

I overexpress.

I am never satisfied.

So, I'll get up tomorrow and entertain a bunch of kids in another city. I'll love them and then I'll

leave them.

And for sure I'm alone tonight, and I'm used to that.

Bye love Mikie

5 comments:

Joseph Beatty said...

i dont have kids either, it aint no thang. and i think its "yo tango hombre." i think. and thats pretty sweet about the survivor guy. i want ten dollars. i cant wait to be there.

Susan said...

Mikie, your life amazes me. It's wonderful...

moonshinejunkyard said...

mikie it is actually "tengo hambre." make sure you say HAMBRE not HOMBRE or you will be saying, i have a man. or if you say tengo hambre para hombre, you say i am hungry for a man! watch out! anyway i love this blog. it is very inspiring. satisfaction is fleeting but true. you find it in moments, like up in that tree, or feeding bbq to your friends, or knowing you have a degree. (me too!) having strong free legs to walk you everywhere. makes you love being alive. there is nothing better than endless browsing in bookstores. okay maybe a few things better but you know what i mean. are you moving to l.a.?

Amy Beatty said...

Mikie, that was fun to read. And you do have a very cool car. I want it. I've been looking around for a new used car and its hard to find a deal as sweet as you got. You are very lucky to have all that freedom to do what ever you want. And its nice to hear that you are making the most of it. I hope we can visit you one last time in Santa Cruz before you move. We always have such a great time there.

Papa Dan said...

I have lots of kids (and 17 going on 18 grandkids--Wooo)Life is as good as you make it, no matter where you are--and it sounds like you keep things flowing pretty well right there in SC. Course I know you and you're not satisfied if your nightly dreams aren't filled to the brim with excitement. Love from P'ville