Thursday, July 30, 2009

some information regarding stuff, and money

So tonite I went ahead and reserved two campsites at Fish Creek Campground in Glacier for our first two nites there. If you're interested, the campground is located just northeast of Apgar at the West Entrance of the park, on the shore of Lake McDonald (the largest lake in the park.)
We are sites A4 and A6, in Loop A of the campground. They are right next to each other and each site allows for 8 people (two sites equalling 16, which is exactly how many we've got) and two vehicles.
So now everyone owes me $6.00 for the two nites (just 3 dollars per nite per person.) (matt and amy im not sure the deal with little O and whether or not he even costs money but we'll just talk about that later aight?) Anyways, everybody can just hook it up when we get the site. I think this was probably a pretty good choice, so now there is some significant stress eliminated.

SO!!! Here is some developed planning which has gone on this last day:

Everyone who leaves from Placerville, 11 of us, (joey emma heather darin mikie candice adie dad stan nick martin) in the van and dads car will be leaving at 4am (or earlier, or no more than 12 minutes later... ) With that I figure we'll be getting into Missoula anywhere between 9pm and midnite, at which point we'll be meetin up with matt and amy, inc. From there we'll get ourselves a hotel room (probably 2) and sleep a good sleep. All of us. Then, we all get up early due to childlike christmas-morning-esque excitement, and go get coffee/breakfast/brief chilling in the beautiful city of Missoula.
Check-in at Fish Creek is at 1pm, and I'd like to try and arrive there as close to that time as we can achieve, so as to fully take advantage of our campsite/ground slash the beautiful everything which will be all around us. That means it'd be smart to leave Missoula around 10am. So can we please try and get up around 7-8am and get our stuff done so we can get up there early? that'd be great.
From there our time in Glacier begins and the rest is up to the universe's infinitely puzzling game of time.

So, pops wanted me to post something that might sort of thing which deals with money and the potential costs for certain things, particularly things we'll be sharing the cost of. SOOOO I was thinking it'd probably be wise for everyone to try and have about 200 dollars in cash so we can easily split costs for things like campsites, backpacking permits, occasional shared food, entrance fee, etc.
Me and Emily went to mapquest and calculated the gas costs (approximate) for the trip to the park. It equalled out to about 60 dollars per person. As far as I know we are going to pool our gas money just like we did last year when we went to Havasupai. So, everyone riding in the van and dads car will put 60 dollars in a single pot and we will use that to fill up both vehicles along the way. That amount of money (for 11 people would be 660 dollars total) will most likely be a little more than we will need, so once we get to Many Glacier on Tuesday August 11th (that is as far as me and Em figured it out, so we would have gas costs included and pooled for just about all of the driving actually being done in the park) the remaining munz will be doled back out to everyone accordingly. Probably like a couple bucks each. We'll see, but that should cover distance to Missoula, Missoula to Fish Creek, Fish Creek to St. Mary along Going To The Sun Road, St. Mary to Babb (where we'll spend a nite), and Babb to Many Glacier. Does this make sense to everyone?
I am going to try and have about 260 dollars in cash, which includes my gas pool money, so I'll make sure to have plenty of cash for splitting technical stuff.

Also, dad wanted me to make a sort of list-thing which includes different things to consider that we'll have to be paying for. So here goes:

Campsite costs(6 dollars to me so far)
Park entrance fee(25 dollars per vehicle, which lasts a week. Right Matt?)
Occasional food being shared, if we so decide
Backpacking permits for whoever is interested in going (5 dollars per person per nite)
Parking fees (im totally unsure of whether or not this is even relevant, it just popped into my head. ill look into it later. maybe at trailhead parking lots of something...)
Motel fees (Missoula, and most likely in Babb on Monday nite after Going To The Sun Road.)


Okay thats really all I can think of. Im going to end this blog now. but hey we are leaving in one week so if anybody has anything to talk about please comment about it so we can get it figured out.

15 comments:

AdieSpringB said...

yay! I am stoked with this lil plan. SO glad you got rezzies. Your killing me for writing that, huh Jojo?
Anyhoo.....all the motels I see are about 92 dollars for 4 peeps per room and I don't think we can trick em into thinking there are any less of us. So Foser, you got to use your Triple A discount.

Can we grocery shop together BEFORE the trip? Or should we do it that Christmas morning in Missoula?

Hoodoo Voodoo said...

Adie, there is a general store IN Many Glacier! We were thinking we can each bring some food for ourselves and then, any time we want we can all take a trip to the store and chip in for a giant family din-din or two!
(And Matt and Amy's dessert idea is SOOOO sweet and wonderful!)

ONE WEEK TILL WE LEAVE, LOVES! Cant wait!!! Can you believe it's already here?!

Amy Beatty said...

Joey!! Thank you for putting so much time into this. It is going to be the best trip yet, I feel it!! Matt and I will most likely get our own room so, you guys could still just get two. Plus we have enough pancake mix to make breakfast one morning for everyone. Did the Van need any repairs? Because if it did I think we should also all try pay for that too. Joe please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We and so happy and excited for this trip. Love you all xoxoxo

moonshinejunkyard said...

I CAN'T WAIT!!!! NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS TOWN SO BAD!!!!

next...darin's quote of the week is: "has anyone ever accused you of over thinking things?"

i think our plans are getting borderline to that stage. guys, this is a road trip, a camping trip, and a backpacking trip. we can sleep in sleeping bags, motels, cars, campgrounds, on bare ground under stars. we can eat grubs. we can survive with no money! check out that guy in utah who has lived for nine years with no fundage. my point is, let's keep the grand scheme of things in mind and not go crazy with aforethoughts and worries. it is going to be lovely. we can be...duh duh duh...SPONTANEOUS!!! at least a little bit. we are close to civilization. we can eat WHATEVER WE WANT and we have strong bodies and we can ROAM WHEREVER WE SO CHOOSE. love you guys. cannot wait to hang out so close for so long with our amazing family. we'll keep the arguments or "argumentative discussions" to slim to none, k? it's gonna be grand. trust me and all the girls above.

AdieSpringB said...

so much to do so little time...i don't wanna eat grubs!

mattbeatty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mattbeatty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joseph Beatty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joseph Beatty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joseph Beatty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
moonshinejunkyard said...

whoa there boys, whoa there.

i would like to say right off that as far as i knew there was never a definite plan of "who's riding where" and that, i thought, was the nature of the caravan.

a LOT can happen in 18 hours!

you just never know.

also, it's just a straight shot drive. it is true, it's a long time in a car, and i'm sure we'll do some shifting to stay happy and comfy.

i have an idea, let's get the final word from DAD. the father of us all, and the quietest and sweetest member of this trip who is the most willing to do whatever to keep the peace.

mattbeatty said...

Mikie, it was really good talking to you.

But I'm a little bit of an idiot--I used the wrong word. I meant utilitarian/utilitarianism vs. pragmatic/pragmatism. Oops.

Pragmatic is basically just being practical.

Other than that, good conversation!

Mikie Beatty said...

Joey, I'm sorry and I love you.

I'll chill out about the trip and just take it as it comes. We're going to have an amazing time, and I haven't really realized that until just now.
Thank you for doing all this logistic money crapwork, it really puts things into perspective in a cool way, makes it feel like the trip is actually going to happen. In less than one week we're going to be sleeping in our tents in the fields of a Montana national park. Unlike last year, I'm kind of mentally already there - last year I felt like it hit me the day we left.

I took off the comments here because they were for me, and I got them. I'm sorry I've been a spaz. I'm letting go now, and just enjoying the trip for what it is - an amazing adventure. I'll work on keeping my cool too, it's really not that hard to do. I just start worrying and my mind goes berserk. I mean, what would a Beatty road trip be without the gas-pooling-bodyguard?

I absolutely love you Joey. and I'm sorry about all this. Thank you for continuing to feed my desires for seeing the wilds of nature beyond my comfort zone. Sometimes it hurts, and maybe those are the most important times. I'm ready to take a chill pill and a deep breath before plunging back into the great unknown. It's a big black, cold lovely world.

See ya dude
Mikie

Joseph Beatty said...

mikie- i too am really sorry. everytime i get so mad and say mean stuff i always feel so bad after the initial anger wears off. anyways, youre right that you havent had the strongest voice in this whole thing and just know that that has nothing to do with anything other than location circumstance, and im sorry for it. and OF COURSE i really am more than willing to hear any of your ideas (or anyones!) and change up things we've loosely planned because thats the way it should be! Im going to quit being so adamant and getting so mad if anybody tries to argue against what ive thought or sort of figured out. whats the point? theres no point. THe money thing is insignificant. i truly dont care either way. lets just go and have a great time. just imagine how fun it will be. life is joy and this is joy at its lifest.

i love you too man FUHGET ABOUTIT!!

-joey

Papa Dan said...

Well, the comments here are to me a sign of a most wonderful and fantastic, though a little rambunctious, family of adventurers. We WILL have a joyous and amazing time I'm sure. (And I want to say a prayer just before we set out--say 3:45 AM)I know we all LOVE one another more than we each even realize, is my deepest conviction!! I too am guilty and sorry that things have been so stressful, but that will soon turn to magnificence in God's most fine creation. I love you all, Dad