Friday, February 1, 2008

candy hearts for you

joey's show at upstairs gallery - looking fine, looking real fine.
bonny in all her lovely glory!
the amazing miss dolly, proud mama and thinker extraordinaire.
these girls are ethereal and wispy like tiny fairies. so cute!
happy early valentine's day from me in a pink sweater i tried to sell on ebay. don't feel bad for me, though, i did sell some other stuff!

here are some silly pictures illustrating my life lately. mom and darin and i went to joey's show at the "upstairs gallery" which he played with other excellent musicians sonya cotton and aaron ross. joey played wonderfully and has even more new great songs on his two myspace accounts if you want to check them out.
i went to bonny's baby shower on saturday. i had really good conversations with a few people there including dolly and stephanie (the cousin). what a family of sweethearts. bonny was radiant and cheerful, and i had a fun time holding the precious babies in abundance; namely teddy, gloria and isaac who are each unique and darling. i felt proud that i noticed baby gloria looks a lot like her older brother henry when he was a baby, and merry said, "ooh, you're good. she does look EXACTLY like henry." i was glad to have noticed this. merry led the shower so graciously and energetically; it is hard to believe she has four tiny children. it was really fun and i wish mom and amy could have been there too! i said i was representing all the beatty women. sorry the pictures are blurry. anyway i speak for all of us when i say i am so excited to see WENDY!
in other news i am back in school taking four graduate level courses which should be extremely challenging and quite invigorating to the mental muscles!!! for those who are interested they are:
english 200A: methods and research (this one is mostly literary theory and scholarship)
Myth Criticism: deals with joseph campbell, jung, and lacan's approaches to mythology
hawthorne and melville: these guys had the most inspiring friendship and were part of another literary movement i want to emulate!!!
postmodern fiction: full of strange and enticing gems of books and taught by a novelist so it will have somewhat of a creative writing focus - good news for me!
i have about a hundred books to read (exaggeration) and a hundred papers to write and meanwhile all i can do is obsess over FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS!!!!
happy february to all. i can't help but think of the good ol' sophie b. hawkins song, addie you know what i'm talking about, "it felt like springtime on that february morning, in a courtyard birds were singing my name!" i could be a bit off on the lyrics, but it still makes my heart ring out with joy in anticipation of springtime.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures you posted. I haven't seen Bonny much lately so it's so strange to see her hugely pregnant. I wish I could have gone to the shower too. It looks like you had so much fun. Thank you for going and representing us and sharing a little of the fun through the pictures! I love the "Namaste" one of you in the pink sweater. So Valentiney! Your classes sound rather dauntinly difficult. You will be a busy girl this semester. But knowing you, you'll get all A's again. Thanks for all the lovely posting you do and for loving our family so much. We all adore you our darling Heather. Love, Mom

AdieSpringB said...

Heather! I want side feedback from you about all you are learning in myth criticism. I want to know more about Carl Jung. From what I have read and do know, I love the man. It's very nice to have you in the family- nice isn't quite the right descriptive word- more like "passionately imperative", because in one conversation about your classes, or in one backyard clogging lesson, you have always taught me these kinds of background schools. It's about all the schooling I can take, but yet it's nice to know what your professors are thinking so when I go to San Francisco and get stuck in an intellectual circle of literary defenders, I can at least pretend to know 2 percent of what they are talking about!

Amy Beatty said...

I don't know why you tried to sell that pink sweater, you look so perfect in it. Thank you for going to the shower. I really wish I could have been there. It's moments like these that really make me want to move back. I hate missing everything. One of these days we will just be a hop and a skip away. xoxo

Papa Dan said...

I ALWAYS read the blogs though I sometimes am 4-5 days behind and my comment my be so late that it doesn't register.(what?) But I'm glad that Mikie is always paying attention to them and Heather, you are always contributing. This Beatty blog spot will have it's ups and downs but it'll be valuable for a long time. The Smith's are a remarkable family, just like us.