Saturday, December 8, 2007

DS savings

Jarom got a few ones from his great Nana, and a five from grandma Cherie and some dough from his grandma. He has decided instead of spending it all at the dollar store and getting a ton of amazingly cool toys or spending it all at Wal-Mart's family fun center, where usually one of them leaves crying because the machine ate their quarter, or there's one that lets you play till you win and sometimes it really doesn't or better yet you do win but for some crazy reason the prize is stuck in the claw. And then you do something really clever and dig for that one last quarter, thinking you are going to beat this thing at its own game just to watch that jammed up claw holding your prize ram itself into the other prizes and that's that - nothing. All of this has happened countless times. You ask why we might let this happen so many times. It's easy, we get just as much crazy good luck as the bad. But we won't get into that now - another time. Anyways back to why I'm writing this blog - Jarom decided to save his money for the highly coveted Nintendo DS. And Matt just showed me something utterly so heartbreaking and sweet at the same time: Jarom's savings. It's in this little cheese box. But let's start at the beginning.

This morning Jarom saw that the junk mail was going to thrown out and decided to snatch it up. Throughout the morning he would show me a envelope and tell me how we need this and isn't it great that he saved it. I would just agree. Then he showed me some fake check thingy and asked how much it was worth. He was so happy when I told him. And then he just ran off. Then tonight Matt had to come and show me. I can't bear to think about it. It makes me cry and smile at the same time. Matt lifts the lid off Jarom's DS savings, and lo and behold there's the check.





the savings box

4 comments:

heather said...

oh boy, i'm dying once again! our precious little businessman breaks my heart. this is a dreamer who will get anything he sets out for, he is that determined and persistent and careful and true to himself. and i am so enamored with these kids!!!

AdieSpringB said...

i died, for the 15th time

AdieSpringB said...

the part about "he just ran off" kills me the most.

Mikie Beatty said...

SO...rad. Not only is Jarom learning how to save responsibly, but it's for a very good cause (DS!) Jarom, I applaud your sweetness.