Saturday, January 17, 2009

daydreaming

Hey everyone! It's January and already I'm itching for summer travels!

Start thinking about our big trip this summer. Darin and I are very serious about going to Glacier National Park. We also hope to meet up with Matt and Amy and kids in Utah first and go to South Dakota, see the sights on the western side of that state like the Badlands, Wounded Knee, and the Black Hills (Deadwood, Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore?) then loop up through southern Montana, stopping by Devil's Tower and the Battle of Little Bighorn, and then up to Glacier which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places in the United States. There is a road called Going to the Sun Road which is closed except in summer. So August will be a good time for this trip. I will look into it extensively and try to plan hikes and all kinds of fascinating things we can see and where we can camp and so forth. Does anybody have requirements or suggestions for the dates? I am just hoping to go sometime in August and we can probably make it a two week road trip or so. I know Joey and Emily want to maybe do a bigger road trip of their own that includes the Pacific Northwest so we can all meet up somewhere out on the glorious road!

Any thoughts, ideas, concerns?

5 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Sounds awesome. But I do know Matt and I will be lucky to maybe get a week off, but that would include the weekends. Keep planning. And Aug. sounds perfect.

Mikie Beatty said...

I also find this sort of idea to be haunting and fantastic, so I'll help plan. Because that's the number 1 most important thing us Beatty's could use: better planning. If somebody takes the reigns (and no, it won't be me) I'll hop on and do everything to help the train keep a-movin. So let's delegate, and really put something cool together that we all can agree on ahead of time.

Joseph Beatty said...

mount whitney. glacier. alaskan highway. anacortes.

Susan said...

I don't think I can get time off. I'm already taking two weeks in April when I'll be in Utah. I wish I could go so much, it all sounds so wonderful. That kind of trip is more my style then the whole Grand Canyon thing. I love, love, love road trips!! I'll be sad but still hoping someday...Love you all, Momma

mattbeatty said...

Yeah, if I can get a week off, that'll be spectacular. We'll have to see.

As you know, I too can help plan. I've already looked into it quite a bit, and have some ideas on places to camp and hike. Like, I would *love* to hike Chief Mountain. It's a bit difficult, but so beautiful and amazing in many ways: geologically, spiritually, historically (a bit sad in my opinion, how the Blackfeet sold their mountains to the US govt), plus I think it would be fun. Also, heading up to Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta (it's all Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park), and visiting small portions of the Blackfeet reservation along the way. Let's do this.