Saturday, January 26, 2008

The injured and the uninsured

Jarom's Friday night was eventful. Ten minutes after arriving at his Great-Nana's house in Salt Lake, he sustained this beauty of an injury. Luckily we were close to the Primary Children's Medical Center, so off we went, just he and Amy and I, for a good three and a half hour visit.

He was worried about it. He was very concerned about doctors and what they do. When we first go there, he said, "I don't want the doctors to make me die." But in the end he scored: ten stitches, a root beer slurpee, a stuffed moose, a "squirtgun" (syringe), and a bag of Cheetos from the vending machine.

On the drive home he called Mikie and Heather/Nana (sorry Papa, Adie, Joey, everyone else--by the way time we got off the phone with Heather and Nana he was fast asleep). He said some adorable things to them. He was very proud of his experience. One thing he said to us afterwards was, "Why did they use string to fix my head? My head's not made of string." He also kept saying that he "broke his head, and the doctors fixed it. They sewed it."


Here's the gaping wound. He was pretty mad about me taking this photo; I barely was able to do it (but he was so brave).

We held pressure the whole time!

At the hospital, already (almost) back to his normal self.

Playing. He actually played Leapster while we were there. It kept him occupied during the massively long hospital excursion.

Amy and Jarom on his hospital bed.

His doctor. She was incredibly nice and knew how to make Jarom feel better about the whole thing.

Spread-eagled, watching some cartoon on the TV.

Mother and son. Plenty of love going around here. Jarom kept telling both of us, "I love you, Mom," or, "I love you, Dad."

The cutest boy, even when beat up.

Wrapped like a burrito. They asked him if he wanted his arms free or to be wrapped like a burrito, and he chose burrito-style.

There's the surgery going on. He was really, really good. A tiny bit squirmy, but less so than I imagined he'd be.

The finished product.

And there he is with his loot.

5 comments:

Mikie Beatty said...

i had no idea!! He really hurt himself, and I wasn't sure what he meant last night when I talked to him on the phone. Sorry I called so late. I'm glad he's ok, I can't believe that. When I was like 7 I hit my head in a VERY similar place and received a very similar scar which is right above my eyebrow, that also had stitches. I want to show Jarom the scar now! Ohh Jar jar

heather said...

oh man, talking to jarom about this was the highlight of my month. he looks so brave in the pictures! i can't believe in the top one he sort of tried to smile!! what a cutie. he is such an amazing kid. mattie i am so so glad you took these pictures. this is one of those things in life that don't get documented usually cause parents are too freaked out. he is so adorable with his treats. i love him so much. i miss you guys. amy looks gorgeous. good luck with the healing process, jarom, and you make a very handsome burrito!!!

Papa Dan said...

Wow Jarom, what a gouge--how did it happen. Must have hit a table corner or something while running to create such a cut. I'm sorry it happened but you know how it goes with little boys-fortunately, heads are pretty durable. It probably won't be your last, though I hope nothing will ever be serious. You ARE really brave. Thanks for the pictures Matt.

AdieSpringB said...

how the h DID it happen? PS-does Jarom still got the squirt gun the doctor gave him? Art says "the ladies are gonna go crazy over that scar"- but i wish he wouldn't say that because Jarom is only 5 and what the crap does he care about ladies for about 14 years????? In rebuttal Art says "he knows what's going on"
- whatever........
Art made me write this!

Susan said...

What a brave boy you are Jarom! That's quite a big owie you have on your head. Your daddy broke his arm when he was about your age, and he was brave just like you. I'm so glad I got to talk to you on the phone about it. You sounded so brave and strong, you are such a big boy now! What an experience! I love you so much and I hope your head heals up really fast. Love, Nana