Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Two Class Poems

Here's a couple of poems I wrote for my creative writing class. See if you guys like them - Joey and Matt may relate somewhat ..

A Captive’s Week
From leaves to breeze, from sleep to coffee, coke
By hard stars, dark, by smell of bread, sunrise
Blank morning, house, the shower, town, sweet people, apple, streets
Night skies skip by, by driving tired, golden bridge
Of a bagel breakfast, halfway full, towards pressing class in cursive,
That hurry, blurred up, unsure, murder, credits, kissing history
I miss the driven highways, smiling sadly, promise lake,
Oh give me freedom, flee this city, give me friends, it’s not the end.


As the sun creeps north, our eyes creep east
A line across the sky I never see;
imagination's silhouette
my memories do bleakly sell
their half-enchanting promises
of places we once reigned;
that sleeping scent of minivan carpet
packed-up bags of boards all wet
from chasing white demons, singing
making memories so deeply set for
seven years; a silhouette is all I get
to tease what passions lie beneath
my snowpacked memories begin to melt
under the autumn's beige cardigan
and every smell an oracle
predicting such a future possible
and mine only imprisoned a monkey-minded dreamer
there is no captive more distressed
than he that's free to choose between logic and destiny.

6 comments:

mattbeatty said...

Cool, Mikie. Did they give you any prompts for the poems? Or was it all just freestyle? I like the snowboarding one mucho. Good use of metaphor.

What creative writing class are you in? I'm very interested in that, obviously because that was my emphasis. What projects will you be doing? In my first creative writing class we did a short story, poetry, personal essay, and then a textual analysis (which is less creative).

Anyway--good stuff.

AdieSpringB said...

Too bad people can't make a living being poets anymore. You would seriously be the poet of all time. I love your poet writings, Mikie. Sometimes, they leave my mouth agape.

heather said...

you CAN make a living being a poet, kind of. america needs poets now. you can make a heart-living., don't give up my poetic siblings. mikie you have it! i like how you reworked that first one from the simple ideas you got while waiting for me at mel's into something more cogent and meaningful. very nice. i think the beattys need to create a poetical revolution, NO KIDDING> we need a new literary MOVEMENT, and i think it starts here. now. with US.

mattbeatty said...

Wow, Heather. I totally agree. It's interesting how vital a role poetry played in so many centuries past, and how it doesn't play a role (hardly at all) these days. Nowadays music videos and cheesy (and for the most part horrible) song lyrics are our modern-day poetry. Real poetry needs to be more meaningful again. Somehow. But I do think our family has a touch of the poetic--every one of us, isn't that interesting? Well, let's do it then. Revolution now.

heather said...

matt's on! hooray! and don't get me wrong, songs and []st'
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''stormy is helping ]m
e \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ type wow.
anyway once the literary movement is started songs and many other artforms can be part of it, but it has to start with pure poetryof the heart and soul...i'm thinking the british romantics, a gang of friends started it all...also the beats of course...i think our family can be this next gang of friends who begins something...we have to have a platform like transcendentalism..let's ponder on it.

Joseph Beatty said...

this is great, i especially love the first one and it's scattered images and feelings, so melancholy but so purely true to the feelings lonesome wanderers like us must feel. radness. good work. makes me want to finally go to school.