Sunday, November 29, 2009

Three Kings, Three Gifts, Our family Christmas List

Hi yall. Tis been forever since I myself have written on this family dealy, but I have been thinking of this particular idea for a few days now and thought I'd write it in. I did bring it up at Thanksgiving at Heather's and people liked the idea, or at least Mom said so, so I thought I would make it public.
We aren't the richest people this Christmas, not that we ever have been, but I think we could all agree that this Christmas is going to be the true-est Present...a most sparing, most lovely but a less extravagant Beatty christmas. A Magi or a Charlie Brown kind of Christmas. I love that though. I love the idea of gifts being fewer but more precious. We may not have riches of the shopping kind, but we all KNOW FOR SURE that us Beattys have riches of the soul and of the heart beyond anything we could ask for.
So, the idea:
We each add to the Christmas list THREE items that are probably purchasable that we would like. All under 30 bucks or so. Maybe a couple more if the items are real inexpensive. And between the many of us, we get our gifts. That way, instead of us all feeling like we HAVE to get everyone something....perhaps we can go in on gifts together. So like Heather, Me, Darin, and Art can get Dad one of his gifts. Or Matt, Amy, Mom and me can get Mikie one of his gifts. That way we all collaborate a little bit more, and we SAVE money!! We take the burden especially off Mom and Dad (who totally can use the break) and we take the burden off ourselves so much! And then, as far as homemade gifts go....whole different story. We can make something for everyone if we want. Or not. Whatever....for the most part I am talking about store items.

So here's my list.
The Body Shop Olive Dry Oil Mist
Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Shimmer Lotion Body Cream
Tights and socks (black socks that are anklets with lace or tights like Heather's from Urban Out)
and (already breaking the three rule!)
Jason Ester-C face cream

What do you kids think?? Because I can think of a million things that I would like to have or own but really I don't need anything else in my life but love. And also, I have everything, I would only be wanting a new one of something I already own and all my stuff works great so why bother just for materialism's sake. Plus I am hoping Arthie and I get Iphones for each other for Christmas and that's like 20 gifts in one! And if there is something one of you loves really wants that's more expensive... then fine, please write it on the list!!! I mean for all I know, this might be a little TOO bare bones for you kids......This is just an idea, a guide line............

3 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

I like this.

I would love to collaborate on gifts and make things...I've talked about it every year but I think I'm really gonna do it this time!

As for me, three things I'd like are:
1. earring organizer
2. CDs by St. Vincent, Volcano Choir, Real Estate or the new one by The Mountain Goats.


i can't think of a third right now. i really don't need much, just excited to be with everyone!!!

Amy Beatty said...

I like this!!! can't think of anything I want.... but thats ok. I think it would be fun if we all work together like this. And then it would be really fun to watch everyone open their gifts, since their one gift will be like from all of us!!!

Papa Dan said...

Addie, I too like this idea a lot but we need to do a couple of things to make it work. First, we should have a plan to avoid duplicates, maybe have a temp site that we go to to indicate our plan to buy for someone (if that's not to complicated and we would have to be on our honor to avoid peaking) Second if we want to get together like you mentioned, we should know who will do the purchase and then be sure to send $ in advance or pay asap so as not to put the burden on anyones budget. (Kind of like we did for expenditures for our Gracier trip)
But I truly believe that this Christmas can be on of the best if we economize. We can feel more of the Christmas spirit. It's a great plan.
I cant think of too much that I want but here goes
1.A leather belt--not for dress but for everyday wear (size 38 I think)
2. a hooded sweatshirt (warm)
3. long johns (top/bottom size ex.lge)

It'll be a great Christmas with family together (Dinner at my house--yea!!)