Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Day at the Arches


Balanced Rock--I left the folks in picture to show size to object relationship

This was taken by Matt and shows me under the arch—mammoth, huh

Delicate Arch from another view as sun was about to set, giving the arch a more colorful look


We had a fabulous time with our visit with Matt and Amy and their fine family this last weekend. Thought before Heather or Addie post pictures etc, I would mention an incident that stands out to me emotionally....On our trip the first day, Saturday, we visited 2 particular rock formations that left me pondering how nature had formed them, as well as the beauty all around, and there was beauty everywhere. Well the first sight that was particularly special was called Balanced Rock. A huge rock or bolder that sat seemingly precariously on its mount and I had to see it from every angle. So I did. I took many pictures. It wasn't just beautiful, it was awe-inspiring as was our next visit that day, Delicate Arch. Getting to that point to was a little bit of a hike (one and half miles I think) It was a pretty easy hike. Anyway, the incident that I was referring to was when I was just coming up on the view. The hike itself was interesting with many cites to view along the way. As I recall, I wasn’t the last to get to the point of viewing and as we were nearing, which meant traversing a kind of narrow path around what I will call a mountain but is really another gigantic rock formation among the many is that area, I saw Adrienne up ahead looking at me intently as I was approaching. She had been there once before so she just wanted to see the look on my face as the view opened up. Well, her expression as I approached will stand out to me in my memory as much as the great Delicate Arch itself. She was excited to see me take in that enormous and amazing rock formation that was before me. Well that was a very memorable moment and day and I just wanted to comment on it, though there were many, many others that weekend.

4 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

That is the best story ever pops. I'm so glad you told it. I think I do remember getting up there and hearing Adie say she was going to wait at that first turn when you get to see it for the first time so she could see your reaction. I love you guys all so much. That was such a nice quick trip. Your photos turned out really nice. Adie told me another story from that same hike that I love so much I'm going to put in Bellas journal. Can't wait for the next Beatty adventure. Thanks so much for coming out. You are such a joy to be around. Love you xo

Amy Beatty said...

That is the best story ever pops. I'm so glad you told it. I think I do remember getting up there and hearing Adie say she was going to wait at that first turn when you get to see it for the first time so she could see your reaction. I love you guys all so much. That was such a nice quick trip. Your photos turned out really nice. Adie told me another story from that same hike that I love so much I'm going to put in Bellas journal. Can't wait for the next Beatty adventure. Thanks so much for coming out. You are such a joy to be around. Love you xo

AdieSpringB said...

Pops! I am gonna post that pic I got of you looking at the Arch when you came around the bend!

moonshinejunkyard said...

wonderful! dad i am so glad you posted a little story and these great photos. i just posted a blog too and then saw that you had done this one, and addie's of your face. it was quite an experience. i was thinking about all the great things: bella's little pouch in the sweatshirt in the window with corn nuts, orion putting raisins on the heads of his superheroes, squatting to pee with bella, you dad going in the colorado river, the nice guy with the dog named mags and how we later wondered what his family is like, the way jarom tried to say that he likes cigarette butts just to be outrageous, the kids watching the firedancing, the rad dude at the crepe place telling us different sights to see, eating rice krispy treats straight out of the pan in the dez, trying to pose like amy in the ghost town, bella over and over wanting us to see the princess and the frog and we never got to, playing operation, spending a day in DI, cupcakes, grilled cheese, disgruntled employees in green river, magpies, pinecones, wabisabi, the list goes on and on and it was so much fun. i miss you guys and utah!